PGY1 Pharmacy Downey, California
The Kaiser Permanente Downey Medical Center has proudly served Southeastern Los Angeles County since 1965. Our service area includes 1 hospital and 9 medical office buildings in the cities of Downey, Bellflower, Cerritos, Cudahy, Lynwood, Norwalk, and Whittier – covering over 380,000 members. The Downey Medical Center is certified as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center, holds the Patient Safety Excellence Award, and is both regionally and nationally ranked as a US News Best Hospital.
The PGY1 Residency Program at Kaiser Permanente, Downey Medical Center follows guidelines set by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists and provides thorough training in a variety of specialties. The purpose of the Kaiser Permanente, Downey PGY1 pharmacy residency program is to prepare pharmacist clinicians for inpatient, ambulatory care and outpatient positions.
Our medical center provides inpatient, ambulatory care, and outpatient pharmacy services to our members. The inpatient pharmacy services 424 licensed beds, including both neonatal and pediatric intensive care units, and provides drug distribution, clinical monitoring, and IV admixture services. The ambulatory care pharmacy supports various pharmacist-managed clinical services, including anticoagulation, heart failure, CVD management, HIV medication management, hepatitis C, and oncology. Our eight outpatient pharmacies provide our members with prescription services and clinical monitoring.
The pharmacy department prides itself on being progressive and innovative in the delivery of pharmaceutical care. In addition to providing excellent pharmacy services to our members, Kaiser Permanente supports the profession of pharmacy via active involvement in professional organizations, community service, and providing an interactive mentorship with pharmacy students through various programs. Pharmacists take an active role in numerous committees such as quality, infectious disease, medication safety, drug utilization, pharmacy & therapeutics (P&T), and more.
Our residency provides a unique opportunity for the resident to be involved in many aspects of an organized health care delivery system with an emphasis on preventative care. The goal is to help each participant understand how all components are integrated in order to provide our members with quality, affordable health care. Residents will be exposed to various areas of practice and will have many learning opportunities.
- Acute Care
- Anticoagulation Services
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Heart Failure
- Outpatient /Drug Education
- Emergency Department (ED)
- Infectious Disease/Home Health
- NICU/Pediatric ICU
- Drug Information/Drug Use Management
- Pharmacy Administration/Management
- Hepatitis C Program
- Western States Conference (WSC) Project
Requirements for Acceptance
- Graduate of an Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE) -accredited (or ACPE candidate status) school of pharmacy.
- Must be licensed as an Intern Pharmacist in the state of California by the first day of residency program.
- Residents who have not obtained a California Pharmacist license by October 1st are subject to suspension until license is obtained. If license is not obtained by December 15th, employment will be subject to termination.
- Candidates must register in the National Matching Service, Inc. (NMS)
- Candidates must participate in the ASHP Matching Program
- Program NMS Code: 219013 and ASHP Program Code 92083
- Statement of Interest/Letter of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official Pharmacy School Transcripts, sent directly from the applicant’s college or school of pharmacy via PhORCAS
- Three letters of references/recommendations utilizing the form in PhORCAS
- Recent sample of your work (eg. journal club or PPT presentation)
- Application Deadline: January 6, 2023
- On-Site Interview Required
- On-Site Interview Dates: TBD
Apply Through ASHP
Apply using the ASHP standard application process on the ASHP PhORCAS website.Apply now
Current Pay Rate
$23.38 per hour
John Sie, PharmD
Clinical Pharmacy Director
Residency Program Director
Kaiser Permanente – Bellflower Medical Offices (Pharmacy Administration)
9400 E. Rosecrans Ave
Bellflower, California 90706