PGY1 Pharmacy San Diego, California
At Kaiser Permanente San Diego, we are excited to continue a thirty-year tradition of excellence in Pharmacy Residency Education. Following guidelines set by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, our PGY1 Pharmacy Residency provides thorough training in a variety of specialties. We are proud to deliver an excellent, practical and flexible educational experience relevant to today’s clinical pharmacy practice. In addition, our program aims to balance rigorous education, service and life balance, while living in and enjoying the spectacular beaches, beautiful parks and warm climates of San Diego.
As the largest service area in Kaiser Permanente Southern California Region, Kaiser Permanente San Diego serves over 630,000 members and is comprised of two medical center campuses with two inpatient pharmacies. There are 17 outpatient pharmacies, 3 outpatient infusion sterile compounding pharmacies, and many ambulatory care pharmacy services.
Our new San Diego Medical Center (SDMC) is a 617,000 sq ft state-of-the art hospital designed with cutting edge medical technologies. It consists of an interactive patient care system that allows for video-visits using a 75” monitor in each patient room. SDMC boasts innovations in environmentally sustainable technology for cleaner, greener energy and has earned certification as a LEED Platinum health care facility.
Kaiser Permanente San Diego employs over 600 pharmacists and supportive personnel in Inpatient, Outpatient, Ambulatory Care, Home Infusion, Drug Use Management, and Administration settings. Our teams are an integral part of the Kaiser Permanente care delivery system for our members. Staying at the forefront of clinical pharmacy practice, we continue to innovate and respond to the changing needs in healthcare. In addition to providing clinical and dispensing services, we take an active role in interdisciplinary committees, including Pharmacy & Therapeutics (P&T) Committee, Medication Safety Committee (MSC), Medication Treatment Appropriateness Committee (MedTAC), Clinic Administered Medications Oversight Committee, and Quality Management. Our pharmacists work closely with physicians and nurses on these committees and in providing care to our patients.
Kaiser Permanente San Diego PGY- Pharmacy Residency Program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) and uses the ASHP Residency Program Design and Content model to design and deliver training.
Statement of Purpose
The Kaiser Permanente San Diego PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program builds on the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
Our mission is to graduate highly competent, compassionate and skilled pharmacists who will serve and contribute to their communities. Our experienced and talented faculty are committed to the personal growth and professional development of each resident. With formal teaching and hands-on experience in a team-based care environment, our residents practice in a comprehensive, integrated system, using the nation’s largest and state-of-the-art electronic health record. Our graduates have the flexibility to practice in any setting and are prepared to provide care to diverse patient populations.
San Diego is California’s second largest city and the United States’ eighth largest. San Diego County encompasses 18 incorporated cities and numerous neighborhoods and communities, including downtown’s historic Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy, Hillcrest, Coronado, La Jolla, Del Mar and Carlsbad. Known for its 70 miles of pristine beaches, luxury resorts and Torrey Pines Golf Course, San Diego is also popular for the world-famous San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, SeaWorld San Diego and LEGOLAND California. For more information about the communities we serve please visit these websites:
- Internal Medicine
- Drug Utilization Management
- Inpatient Pharmacy Practice
- Outpatient Pharmacy Practice
- Infectious Disease
*Residents will choose 1 out of these 2 rotation options.
Intensive Care Unit*
*Residents will choose 1 out of these 2 rotation options.
Elective Rotations (Residents will choose 2 rotation options):
- Home Infusion
- Inflammatory Disease
- Complete Care Management
- HIV / Infectious Diseases
- Transitions of Care
- Medication Therapy Management
- Pharmacy Administration
- Inpatient Pharmacy
- Medication Safety
- Residency Project
Requirements for Acceptance
- Graduate of an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)-accredited (or ACPE candidate status) school of pharmacy.
- Must be licensed as an Intern Pharmacist in the State of California by the first day of residency program.
- Residents who have not obtained a California Pharmacist license by October 1st are subject to suspension until license is obtained. If license is not obtained by December 15th, employment will be subject to termination.
- State Board of Pharmacy: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/
- Candidates must be registered in the National Matching Services, Inc. (NMS).
- Candidates must participate in the ASHP Matching Program.
- Program NMS Code: 130813 and ASHP Program Code: 92170
- Statement of Interest/Letter of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official Pharmacy School transcripts, sent directly from the applicant’s college or school of pharmacy
- 3 letters of references/recommendations utilizing the form in PhORCAS
- Application Deadline: January 1st, 2023
- On-Site or Virtual Interview Required: By invitation
- On-Site or Virtual Interview : February 2023
- Click here to link to the Virtual Information Session:
- October 14th – 12noon – 1p.m. PST
- November 1st – 2p.m. – 3p.m. PST
- Virtual Open House (optional): TBD
Back to all programs
Apply Through ASHP
Apply using the ASHP standard application process on the ASHP PhORCAS website.Apply now
Current Pay Rate
$23.38 per hour
Khanh Nguyen, PharmD, APh
Clinical Pharmacy Director
Residency Program Director
10990 San Diego Mission Rd.
San Diego, California 92108