PGY1 Pharmacy South Sacramento, California
The PGY1 Residency Program at Kaiser Permanente South Sacramento follows guidelines set by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists and provides thorough training in a variety of specialties.
PGY1 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
The pharmacy department in the South Sacramento Service Area strives to provide world-class pharmaceutical care in a professional and supportive environment. The pharmacy department has a commitment to teaching and training interns, students, and residents. Our outpatient pharmacies are supported by a high-tech automated drug refill pharmacy and a centralized call processing center, both located in Livermore, California. This allows our outpatient pharmacists to focus on performing clinical checking and patient counseling. The inpatient pharmacists at our Level II trauma center work collaboratively with physicians and nurses to provide drug therapy recommendations, dosing per pharmacy protocol (includes anticoagulation, vancomycin and aminoglycosides, TPN dosing adjustments), medication therapy monitoring and patient education. Intensive care unit and infectious disease (ID) pharmacists round with the critical care and ID teams. Clinical pharmacists in ambulatory care work autonomously under collaborative practice protocols. Our ambulatory care pharmacy services include hospice, chronic pain management, cardiovascular risk reduction (@Goal), medication therapy management (MTM), HIV, psychiatry, geographic managed care (GMC), and oncology.
About Kaiser Permanente South Sacramento
- Internal medicine
- Infectious disease (ID)
- Cardiovascular Risk Reduction (@Goal)
- Outpatient pharmacy practice
- Inpatient pharmacy practice
- Pharmacy APPE student precepting
- Pharmacy administration
- Drug utilization management
- Critical Care/Trauma
- Advanced Critical Care
- Geographic managed care (GMC)
- Chronic pain
- Regional pharmacy continuum (located in San Leandro and Oakland)
- Lead resident program
- Inpatient Pharmacy Staffing
- Research project
Requirements for Acceptance
- Graduate of an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)-accredited (or ACPE candidate status) school of pharmacy.
- Must be licensed as an Intern Pharmacist in the state of California by the start of residency program.
- Residents who have not obtained a California Pharmacist license by October 1st are subject to suspension until license is obtained. If license is not obtained by December 15th, employment will be subject to termination.
- State Board of Pharmacy Web Link: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/
- Candidates must be registered in the National Matching Services, Inc. (NMS).
- Candidates must participate in the ASHP Matching Program.
- Program NMS Code: 176513 and ASHP Program Code: 92020
- Statement of Interest/Letter of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official Pharmacy School transcripts, sent directly from the applicant’s college or school of pharmacy
- Three letters of references/recommendations utilizing the form in PhORCAS is required for all reference writers.
- Application Deadline: January 3, 2023
- On-Site or Virtual Interview Required
- Interview Dates: Approximately Mid February
- Click here to link to the Virtual Information Sessions:
- October 20th – 12noon – 1p.m. PST
- November 15th – 1p.m. – 2p.m. PST
- December 15th – 12noon – 1p.m. PST
Apply Through ASHP
Apply using the ASHP standard application process on the ASHP PhORCAS website.Apply now
Current Pay Rate
$25.29 per hour
Program ResourcesNCAL Benefits In Brief South Sacramento Residency Brochure
Charonjit Samra, PharmD
Clinical Pharmacy Director
Residency Program Director
Kaiser Permanente – Pharmacy Administration
8241 East Stockton Blvd.
Sacramento, California 95828
Jessica Chen, PharmD, BCPS
Inpatient Pharmacy Supervisor
Residency Program Coordinator
Kaiser Permanente Inpatient Pharmacy
6600 Bruceville Road
Sacramento, California 95828