PGY1 Pharmacy Woodland Hills, California
The KP Woodland Hills PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency Program is designed to prepare pharmacist-clinicians for acute and ambulatory care environments, for PGY-2 Residency or Fellowship training, BPS board certification, as well as adjunct faculty in schools and colleges of pharmacy.
Our PGY1 pharmacy residency program builds on the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and training to advance the development of clinical pharmacists who take responsibility for medication-related outcomes of their patients.
Since 1986, Kaiser Permanente Woodland Hills Medical Center has proudly served the Woodland Hills and West Ventura community. With a membership of over 270,000 members, our service area has 14 medical office buildings in the cities of Woodland Hills, Porter Ranch, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Camarillo, Oxnard, and Ventura.
The department of Pharmacy at KP Woodland Hills practices in a variety of settings, including ambulatory care, acute care, outpatient, drug use management, and management. Inpatient and outpatient pharmaceutical care services are provided 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our pharmacy department is also a teaching site for many IPPE and APPE students.
Inpatient pharmacy clinical services are centralized; however, our pharmacists participate in routine rounds in adult and neonatal intensive care units, antibiotic stewardship, geriatrics, and home infusion as well as being part of the multidisciplinary team code blue response and code stroke response.
Our pharmacists utilize their professional knowledge, skills, and the latest literature and national guidelines — true evidence-based practice. Our ambulatory care pharmacists manage care in the following clinical services: anticoagulation, heart failure, oncology, infectious disease, geriatrics, new member program, population care management, nephrology, special needs program, chronic pain management, primary care, and many more!
- Acute Care
- Drug Use Management
- Drug Information Service
- Chronic Pain Management
- Family Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- New Member Program
- Population Care Management
- Practice Management/Leadership
- Journal Club / Critical Literature Assessment
- Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Pharmacy Student Teaching
- Residency Research Project
- Community Service: Free Clinic Simi Valley (Volunteer)
Requirements for Acceptance
- The applicant must be a Doctor of Pharmacy graduate from an accredited school of pharmacy and must meet all qualifications for licensure in California.
- Candidates must have paid or volunteer pharmacy internship experience (in addition to curriculum hours).
- Candidates must graduate from an ACPE accredited college or school of pharmacy with at least 3.00 GPA (on 4.00 scale).
- Candidates from schools without GPA AND no class ranking AND program not ranked by US News & World Report will not be considered. However, candidates with no GPA and no class ranking will be considered if school is in top 20 ranking.
- Must be licensed as an Intern Pharmacist in the state of California by the first day of residency program.
- Must be licensed as a Pharmacist in the state of California by October 1st. PGY1 Residents who have not obtained a California Pharmacist license by October 1st are subject to suspension until license is obtained. If license is not obtained by December 15th, employment will be subject to termination.
- State Board of Pharmacy Web Link: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/
- Candidates must be registered in the National Matching Services, Inc. (NMS).
- Candidates must participate in the ASHP Matching Program.
- Program NMS Code: 131613 and ASHP Program Code: 92370
- All internship hours required by California Board of Pharmacy must be completed prior to the start of the residency program.
- Statement of Interest/Letter of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official Pharmacy School transcripts, sent directly from the applicant’s college or school of pharmacy
- The 3 letters of references/recommendations utilizing the form in PhORCAS is required for all reference writers. Please advise the reference writer to copy and paste the traditional letter in the free text box under optional narrative comments question #4.
- Application Deadline: January 2, 2024
- Please refer to PhORCAS to confirm PGY1 application deadline.
- Interview Required: Yes
- Interview Dates: February 2024
- Click here to link to the Virtual Information Sessions:
- October 24th – 12:00p.m. – 1:00p.m. PST
- November 14th – 12:00p.m. – 1:00p.m. PST
- Open House:
- December 11th – 11:30a.m. – 1:00p.m. PST
**This residency agrees that no person at this residency will solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information from any residency applicant**Back to all programs
Apply Through ASHP
Apply using the ASHP standard application process on the ASHP PhORCAS website.Apply now
Current Pay Rate
$23.38 per hour
Program ResourcesSCAL Benefits In Brief Woodland Hills Residency Flyer
Area InformationArea Pharmacy Director’s Welcome Residency Program Director Welcome Meet the Preceptors
Resident InformationCurrent Residents Residency Brochure Resident Testimonials Past Residents Resident's Life
Program InformationProgram FAQs Residency Structure and Sample Calendar Resident Publications
Kimi Pontoppidan, Pharm.D., APh
Clinical Pharmacy Director
Residency Program Director
5601 De Soto Avenue
Woodland Hills, California 91367