PGY1 Pharmacy San Jose, California
The Kaiser Permanente San Jose PGY1 Pharmacy Residency is an ASHP accredited program that provides comprehensive training in a variety of areas. Our medical center is a Joint Commission certified stroke center as well as a Center of Excellence for Spine, Genetics and Oral Chemotherapy. We proudly serve a diverse population of Kaiser Foundation Health Plan members in Santa Clara County. The service area consists of the San Jose Medical Center and the medical office buildings in Gilroy, Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley and Watsonville. The purpose of the Kaiser Permanente, San Jose PGY1 pharmacy residency program is to build on the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists who are responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
The Kaiser Permanente San Jose and Gilroy pharmacists and supportive personnel provide pharmaceutical care services in the inpatient setting as well a wide range of clinical activities in the ambulatory and outpatient settings. We have 5 Outpatient Pharmacies in San Jose, 1 in Gilroy, 1 in Watsonville and 1 in Scotts Valley along with 1 Inpatient Pharmacy and 1 Oncology Pharmacy in San Jose.
The Kaiser Permanente San Jose PGY1 residency program provides an innovative, challenging and dynamic learning environment to its residents. Our inpatient rotation includes experiences in Critical Care, Internal Medicine, Antimicrobial Stewardship and inpatient practice. Our outpatient rotation allows residents to learn management skills and have staffing opportunities in the outpatient pharmacy. Our ambulatory clinical programs include oral and IV chemotherapy, heart failure, diabetes, adult psychiatry, HIV and more.
Besides providing a wide array of clinical services, our pharmacists take an active role in a variety of interdisciplinary committees including Pharmacy and Therapeutics, Drug Utilization Group, quality and formulary management, and medication safety.
About Kaiser Permanente San Jose
(4 to 6 weeks/rotation)
- Adult Psychiatry
- Chronic Heart Failure
- Drug Use Management
- Inpatient Practice and Management
- Internal Medicine/ICU
- PHASE (Preventing Heart Attacks and Strokes Everyday)
- Outpatient Practice and Management
- CarePlus Program
(6-8 weeks total, divided into 1-2 blocks)
- Chronic Pain
- HIV/Infectious Diseases
- Gilroy Pain Clinic/Opioid Safety Monitoring Program
- Oral Chemotherapy
- Primary Care (Gilroy or Santa Cruz)
- Family Medicine
- Child Psychiatry
(3 to 12 months/rotation)
- Student Precepting
- Drug Information
- Medical Resident Teaching
- Practice Management: (Pharmacy & Therapeutics, Medication Safety, and Med Error Reduction Committees; Management Skills)
- Project/Research Management (including Western States Conference Project)
- Continuing Medical Education
- Critical Evaluation of Evidence Based Literature
- Regional Medication Use Evaluation
Requirements for Acceptance
- Graduate of an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)-accredited (or ACPE candidate status) school of pharmacy.
- Must be licensed as an Intern Pharmacist in the state of California by first day of residency program.
- Residents who have not obtained a California Pharmacist license by October 1st are subject to suspension until license is obtained. If license is not obtained by December 15th, employment will be subject to termination.
- State Board of Pharmacy Web Link: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/
- Candidates must be registered in the National Matching Services, Inc. (NMS).
- Candidates must participate in the ASHP Matching Program.
- Program NMS Code: 144613 and ASHP Program Code: 92852
- Statement of Interest/Letter of Intent
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official Pharmacy School transcripts, sent directly from the applicant’s college or school of pharmacy
- 3 letters of references/recommendations utilizing the form in PhORCAS
- Application Deadline: January 9, 2023
- On-Site Interview Required (subject to change)
- On-Site Interview Dates: Approximately mid-February
- San Jose Virtual Open House planned for November 18, 2022
- Click here to link to the Virtual Information Sessions:
- October 17th – 12noon – 1p.m. PST
- December 12th – 12noon – 1p.m. PST
Apply Through ASHP
Apply using the ASHP standard application process on the ASHP PhORCAS website.Apply now
Current Pay Rate
$25.29 per hour
Program ResourcesNCAL Benefits In Brief
Alexander Luong, PharmD BCPS
Ambulatory Care Pharmacist
Residency Program Coordinator
Kaiser Permanente – Clinical Pharmacy Services
275 Hospital Parkway, Suite 625
San Jose, California 95119